diapers.com discounts
use code:MELI9005
New Customers Only. Restrictions apply.
baby items
diapers.combuy baby items at diapers.com

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

More Tests and Waiting for Results

Yesterday was emotionally and physically draining. My husband and I met with a genetic counselor, who went over the details of Trisomy 18. Not what I needed to hear, considering we'd already done a lot of research online. She also told me that my risk (1 in 69) is equivalent to the risk a 46 year old woman would have. I'm 31. Great.

We signed the release to get the amnio and we went in for the ultrasound. I laid down on the table and just started crying uncontrollably. It was so embarrassing. The ultrasound tech asked if I was ok and said, "is there anything I should know?" I'm not really sure what answer she was looking for. I just shook my head, and luckily my husband was there to say, "She's just worried and scared."

That ultrasound seemed to go on forever. The monitor was angled so I couldn't see it. The tech didn't say anything the entire time, and she kept going over the same places and looking at them from every angle. I was really starting to freak out, especially since my husband wouldn't look at me. He was staring at the monitor, and every few minutes he pressed his lips together and did this thing with his mouth that he does when he's upset about something. No one was saying anything and I just knew something was wrong.

When she was done, she finally told me that everything looked good. The baby was measuring right on track and weighs 7 ounces. She didn't see anything on the ultrasound to indicate Trisomy 18.

Then it was time for the amniocentesis. I was told it would feel like a "pin prick, like getting a your blood drawn." The hell it did. When they stuck the needle in, my muscles spasmed like crazy, and then it was stinging the entire 30 seconds the needle was inside. It was so painful, and my husband said it looked like I was completely miserable. My muscles were twitching for the rest of the day.

Today I am taking the day off and resting while I wait for the initial results from the amnio. They told me the early results, which are 96% accurate, would be in in about 24 hours. Hopefully I will hear back today. The full results take about 10 days. I am feeling optimistic, but I won't be completely at ease until all the results are in.


Mrs. B said...

Sending good thoughts to you guys.

The Suburban Princess said...

I hate it when the u/s techs hide the monitor and don't say anything the entire time. It is so unsettling!

Keeping my fingers crossed that you hear good news...soon!

MillerMama said...

I hope everything is just perfect in there, Melissa, and that all this worrying will have been for nothing.

pinkflipflops said...

thinking about you!

Chelsea said...

Hang in there. Just stay positive. Sending good thoughts to you and your family.

Amber said...

Prayers coming your way!

Bug's Mom said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails